Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Ombre...Who Knew?

I bought this shirt at Target back in December.  
Isn't it cute?

  Coupled with a pair of tan pants and a little white t-shirt underneath...that's my kind of casual.   I love the classic style of it, but the color variation is what really caught my eye.  I didn't realize this shirt has a name.  Apparently, that color variation is called ombre and it seems to be all the rage around scrap tables everywhere.  It always seems to happen that I hear of or learn a new word or phrase and then all of a sudden I hear it everywhere.  Well, that's what is happening with my new friend, ombre.

This month over at Counterfeit Kit, we were challenged to utilize the ombre look on a page.  Ombre refers to the graduation of color.  The given color may be the deepest and darkest at one point and as the color progresses, the saturation lessens until it is just about white - much like you see here on my shirt.  It kind of reminds me of a civilized tie dye shirt!  LOL!

Anyway, I used some of the elements from my "Lingering Season" kit, along with the addition of a Crate Paper 6x6 paper pack (also from Target on clearance) to create this layout entitled, "Oh Christmas Tree".




I borrowed by daughter's Crayola watercolors and created an ombre strip.  Using just a little water, I swirled the brush round and round in green to load it up.  I stroked along the bottom to create the darkest band of color and then pretty much just used water from my cup to extend the color (without dipping back into the paint tray).  Luckily, I had a watercolor paper pad in my stash.  The thickness of this kind of paper cuts down on the wonkiness factor of the finished product.  I stuck to the green theme and even used my green glimmer mist to create a tag and some mistable Studio Calico trees.


I'm quite pleased with the way this turned out and enjoyed creating a monochromatic page.  Hmmm....I wonder how many other places I'll spot my new friend, Ombre now?

6 comments:

  1. Totally cute! I give you major props for tackling this so successfully. I am not very inspired by monochromatic schemes but yours is perfect! Love how you made the trees go from light to dark as well as your watercolor paper. Looks FAB :~D

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous page, and it was a new word for me too.

    blessings from Angela on the CKC DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT job with the watercolors! I also love how you used graduated shades of green in your papers. And I love how you describe ombre as "civilized tie-dye". LOL!!! Great description!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ferfect layout of this challenge! love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll see it everywhere now, what a great idea to use watercolor paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great when you get to play with your kids' stuff!? My daughter is always raiding my stash so I love when I have to go raid hers! I love your take on the ombre challenge

    ReplyDelete